24-Hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response is the most basic level of first responder training. The regulatory standard, 29 CFR 1910.120, applies to all employees who are exposed or potentially exposed to hazardous materials, including hazardous waste, and who are engaged in one of the following:
- Clean-up operations involving hazardous substances that are conducted at uncontrolled hazardous waste sites;
- Corrective actions involving clean-up operations at sites covered by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976 (RCRA);
- Voluntary clean-up at sites recognized by a governing body as uncontrolled hazardous waste sites;
- Operations involving hazardous wastes that are conducted at treatment, storage and disposal sites;
- Emergency response operations for releases of, or substantial threats of releases of, hazardous substances regardless of the location of the hazard.