EPA Increases Violation Fines: Makes Non-Compliance Riskier
The Environmental Protection Agency has received the ability to increase their violation fines in accordance with the Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act Improvements Act of 2015.
Below is a quick reference guide to the fines you could be faced with for not being in environmental compliance.
|Type of Violation||Current Civil Penalty||New Civil Penalty|
|Emergency Planning & Community Right To Know Act||$25,000 per day in violation||$53,907 per day in violation|
|Clean Air Act||$25,000 per violation||$44,539 per violation|
|Clean Water Act||$25,000 per violation||$44,539 per violation|
|Resource Conservation and Recovery Act||$25,000 per violation||$56,467 – $70,117 per violation|
Air, water, and hazardous waste violations receiving maximum penalties also got an increase by 78%.
- Make sure state and local emergency responders have an inventoried list of hazardous chemicals in your facility, as well as the Safety Data Sheets. (EPCRA)
- Immediately report all accidental releases of hazardous substances to the National Response Center, as well as state and local agencies. (CERCLA, EPCRA)
- Submit Your Toxic Release Inventory report each year by July 1. (EPCRA)
- Make Sure You Have an Updated Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures Plan.
- Obtain proper air pollution permits. (Clean Air Act, NPDES)
- Obtain wastewater discharge permits prior to releasing into navigable waterways. (Clean Water Act)
- Monitor Emissions Limits
In July of 2016, SRP released information regarding OSHA penalty increases due to the Inflation Adjustment Act. Safety compliance is also something to pay attention to in your facility.
If you are concerned about environmental compliance within your facility or company, contact an SRP Environmental Consultant. SRP provides environmental compliance audits, annual reporting services, permitting assistance and risk evaluations . Call SRP Today at (318) 222-2364 or visit us online to schedule a consultation. We have seven convenient locations in Charlotte, Dallas, Denver, Honolulu, Midland, Shreveport and Pittsburgh. Located elsewhere? Let SRP come to you.